Welcome to Waimea/Kamuela!
Welcome to Waimea! Also known as Kamuela. Waimea is located at a higher elevation on the Westside of Hawaii Island. The temperatures are cooler and it is the cultural and business center for the Upcountry area. There are 2 renowned private schools; Hawaii Preparatory Academy and Parker School. Queens North Hawaii Community Hospital is a respected local resource. The town offers a unique, paniolo cowboy vibe.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Surrounded by historic, pastoral Parker Ranch, everything is so green.
- The town offers a unique paniolo (Hawaiian cowboy) vibe with stops signs that say “WHOA”.
- Coffee that is worth the wait.
- Farmers Markets displaying local produce, tropical flowers, talented craftspeople and ono food.
- Country casual is everywhere from school drop offs to moms with yoga gear in tow.
- Dog walkers and kids biking to school set the pace in this family friendly area.
- Community meals supported by business volunteers. Interesting eateries for local grinds, eclectic boutiques housed in buildings from a bygone era.
- The gentle female rain referred to a "ua wahine" that nourishes the green of Waimea.
- Trees that “grow” sideways due to the prevailing winds.
- Kamuela is divided into “greenside” and “dryside”. There is something for everyone’s preference.
- Waimea center and Nob Hill with their easy walkability to the schools command higher prices but within a half an hour the affordability is considerably more.
YOU’LL FALL IN LOVE WITH:
- How everyone waves.
- Snowcapped Mauna Kea after a mountain storm.
- Chickens (not so much the roosters).
- Rainbows when the sun is shining.